Follow me on Instagram @SelectPotential
August was by far my favorite month of this summer. I was able to travel around Michigan a lot, spend time with friends, and relax. I have a hard time with relaxing sometimes. I'm always plugged in, on my phone, and signing up for things I probably don't have time for. As much as I say I'm not a "stressed out" person... it all slowly builds up. Getting away and going up north, especially the weekend on South Manitou Island, I felt like I learned a lesson. It's okay if I miss photos on my Instagram feed; it's okay if I don't respond to every email I receive. It was really refreshing to leave my phone at the campsite, and take a walk at sunset down to the dock. We ended up taking a really long (and hard) hike up a giant dune, and running down. But sitting on the shoreline of Lake Michigan, and collecting rocks to remind myself to keep the mentality I had that weekend, I want to move forward in autumn with that same attitude. Slow down, enjoy those moments, leave your phone at home, ditch your to-do list once in a while. Anyway, long rant, but that's what I took away from August this year. Here's a recap of the month...
- Celebrated family and birthdays with Eric's side at a John Butler Trio concert.
- Had a girl date with two of my favorite friends/colleagues, Sharisa and Angi.
- Traveled to Pictured Rocks with Eric; one of my favorite places in Michigan.
- Saw Munising and Miners Falls.
- Participated in the Hipsy Yard sale at Cheeky Strut - fun idea!
- Went camping with Eric and our closest friends on South Manitou Island.
- Finally got to see the Francisco Morazan shipwreck!
- Dressed up for wine club (one of my favorite nights of the month).
- Beautiful bouquet from a new friend (and a huge appreciation for my girlfriends).
I'm looking forward to September. I know I say this all the time, but it's going to be especially busy this month. Two of Eric and my closest friends are getting married (we're both in the wedding), so there are parties, rehearsal dinner, and the big wedding day. I also have a company retreat, celebrating Eric's birthday, dinners with old and new friends, a 5K to run, several shows to attend, a trip to Grand Traverse Resort and then October will be here before we know it! My goal is to hang on tight, and get done what I need to get done... but keep August's mentality in check. Slow down, enjoy these insanely special moments, and be happy where I'm at.