Hi! My name is Tieka (tee-kuh) and I'm the personal style blogger behind Selective Potential! I'm a 28-year old gal located in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I graduated with my BFA in digital media from a small art and design college. By day, I'm a full-time graphic designer. By night, I run this blog, spend a lot of time lighthouse hopping, taking adventures and exploring around Michigan, hanging out with friends, drinking wine, and listening to music. I'm currently living with my fiancé, Eric, and we have the sweetest pup, Winny. I share my personal style, adventures, and daily life here on the blog. Thank you for reading!
- Ruchette of the Month
- ModCloth Blogger of the Moment
- Chictopia Style Icon
- Minnetonka Blogger Spotlight
- Who What Wear, Style Stalker, November 2009
- Who What Wear, Style Stalker, March 2010
- Rapid Growth's "Local Social Media You Should Be Following"
- Teen Vogue Fashion Click Blogger
- IFB's Blogger Spotlight
- Blog Better Boston Summit, speaker
- Texas Style Council Conference, speaker
- Hanes Hosiery, NYFW ambassador
- Adobe Photoshop Elements, ambassador
- Little Cabin Films "At The Drive In" and "Super Sundae", video/model
- LG Voice of Fashion, blogger ambassador
- Lucky Magazine, spotted in print, January 2011
- Lucky Magazine, featured in print, August 2011
- Pure Michigan Connect Blog, blogger feature
- N.E.E.T. Magazine, blogger feature
- Revue Magazine, blogger feature
- Kensie Blog, blogger feature
- Francesca's Collections, model/photoshoot
- Momentum Magazine, article
- Candy Magazine, article
- Gilt Group, feature
- Glamour, article
- Megan Nieslen, SS2011 lookbook model
- Jess LC Jewelry, SS2010 lookbook model (video)
- The GRCC Collegiate, article
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do you pronounce your name?
It's spelled Tieka, but it's pronounced tee-kuh.
How long have you been blogging and what made you start?
I started blogging in September 2009 - over five years now. I started my blog because I had lost 35 pounds and was so inspired by the many new ways I could dress my body. I googled personal style and came across an article on fashion bloggers. I've been hooked ever since!
How did you lose 35 pounds?
I followed Weight Watchers and starting running to lose the weight! It was an amazing journey. You can read more about my weight loss story here.
What inspired the name Selective Potential?
I wanted something that I could grow with - whether my blog was about my personal style, more about trips, adventures or my daily life. I like the word potential because I feel everyone has it and is able to live up to it.
What camera do you use and how do you get the vintage effect?
I use a Canon Rebel T2i with a 50mm lens. For editing, I use Photoshop CS6. For the vintage effect, you can read my Vintage Effect Tutorial or you can purchase actions to create the effect. I use actions from A Beautiful Mess, Totally Rad Photoshop Actions and Radlab. For iPhone photos, I use VSCO, Afterlight and A Beautiful Mess.
What is your career?
I'm a graphic designer at a strategic communications company. I love my job, especially because of the amazing and talented people I get to work with everyday.
Where is your favorite place to shop?
I absolutely love ModCloth (especially for their cute dresses), Urban Outfitters, Ruche, Target, and Forever 21.
How tall are you?
I'm 5'3 (and a half).
What breed is Winny?
She's a Cockapoo. Her dad was a poodle and her mom was a Cockapoo.
I'm coming to Michigan! Any places to check out?
It depends on the area you're visiting! You can check out my Michigan page here for spots in individual areas. Each area (west central, southeast, etc.) is drivable for a weekend trip. I'm still working on visiting the east central/southeast side a bit more, so if you have any tips, shoot me a note! I grew up in west central Michigan, so I'm very familiar with this area. Have fun in Michigan!
Feel free to email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org, anytime!