It's finally here... my everyday curls hair tutorial! I know I've been talking about doing this for a while, so I'm glad I finally took the time to put it together. In this post, you'll find all of the products I use on my hair, a quick 10-step recap of how I curl my hair, and a full five-minute video tutorial. You can shop all of the products in the image below by clicking the little + signs. I've also answered a few FAQs at the end of the post, but if you have any other questions, just leave a comment on this post and I'll be sure to respond! Hope you enjoy!
HOW I STYLE MY EVERYDAY CURLS IN 10 STEPS
- While my hair is damp, I run Aveda's Smooth Infusion Styling Cream through my hair.
- I spritz a little bit of Bumble & Bumble Thickening Spray through my hair, and bangs.
- I run a detangling comb through to get rid of any tangles.
- I blow dry my hair until it's only slightly damp, and at that point, I blow it out using a paddle brush. I section my hair off into four sections for easier control.
- After blowdrying, I section my hair off into four sections again for curling. I start with using got2b's Volumaniac Hairspray for a quick spritz.
- I use my Hot Tools 1.5" curling iron as a wand, take a section of hair, put it behind my hair, and wrap my hair forward around the curling iron, and leave it for 12 seconds. Be careful not to burn yourself!
- I repeat this process through every piece of hair until all four sections are complete.
- After all curls are done, I quickly do a final spray of hairspray.
- I run a dimed-size portion of Verb's Ghost Oil through my hair to loosen the curls and tame frizz.
- I straighten my bangs using a miniature hair straightener.
How long does curling your hair take?
It takes about 20 minutes to curl my hair. Blowdrying is another 10-15 minutes.
Do you do this every single day?
Nope! I only wash my hair once a week, and I curl my hair like this maybe 2-3x a week.
Do the curls last more than one day?
It totally depends. Some mornings I'll wake up and they'll still be perfect. Other mornings I wake up and they are crazy and frizzy. Sometimes I can easily take a hair straightener over them and get them looking okay for bedhead hair, but most of the time I just recurl on those days or throw it up into a top knot.
What kind of hair do you have?
I technically have fine hair, but I have a lot of it. My hair is also naturally curly, but it has lost it's ringlets as I've gotten older. My hair also doesn't get greasy easily (so that's why I'm able to go so long without washing).
How often do you get it colored/cut?
I go in maybe every six months for a trim, and I get it colored every year lately. My bangs/roots are all natural, and I add blonde to the ends every spring. I also trim my own bangs (slowly and carefully) using scissors and a straight comb.
What's your biggest hair regret?
I will never, ever, ever, ever dye my hair one color ever again. A couple of summers ago, I thought it'd be fun to go blonde blonde (like I was as a teenager) and it just didn't suit me anymore. So then I decided to go a little darker than my natural color, but it ended up being dark auburn (red/brown) and my hair is naturally just ashy. So when my roots grew back in, you could easily tell and my natural color looked gray. It took FOREVER to grow out and get back to my natural color, and I will never ever do a full color EVER again. Hahaha. I'm very passionate about this topic.
If you have any other questions, feel free to leave a comment in this post!